Des Moines Water Works (DMWW) understands the crime of stealing someone’s personal identifying information for the purpose of using that information fraudulently is concerning. To ensure DMWW customer’s personal information is safe, we worked with other drinking water utilities in the state to pass legislation to protect your personal identity. Senate File 2058 was passed by both houses of the legislature and signed into law by the Governor. The legislation allows DMWW to keep information “identifying a specific customer and any record of a customer account, including internet-based customer account information” confidential.
Protect yourself from identity theft by:
- Shredding all of your important papers.
- Making sure you do not throw anything away that someone could use to get your personal information.
- Being careful at ATM’s and using phone cards to protect against people who can get access to your pin number.
- Having all of checks delivered to your bank – not at your home address.
- Not putting checks in the mail from your home mailbox.
- When you order a new credit card or your previous card has expired, keep track of the time and contact the credit card company if it does not show up within the appropriate time.
- Put passwords on all of your accounts.
- Memorize your social security number and passwords so you are not carrying them with you.
- Make a list of all your credit card and bank account numbers with customer service phone numbers, and keep it in a safe place.