Earth Day is April 22, and is a great time each year to show off your “greenness!” Earth Day is a reminder of our responsibility to protect our planet so that it is a place of beauty and remains healthy and safe for future generations.
You don’t have to be part of an organized event to do your part on Earth Day (and every day). Keep on with the green things you already do and try something new…
- Take a walk and breathe in the fresh air at Water Works Park
- Explore a world of plants under one dome at the Des Moines Botanical & Environmental Center. Enjoy free admission for everyone on Earth Day!
- Take Household Hazardous Materials (HHMs) to the Regional Collection Center in Bondurant.
- Purchase more environmentally-friendly products.
- Don’t purchase more than you will need; then use them up.
- Buy products that don’t use so much packaging.
- Use more reusable materials like lunch boxes, sandwich containers, aluminum water bottles and rags.
- Bag up grass clippings, leaves, sticks and branches and put them in CompostIt! bags at the curb.
- Clean up pet waste and put it in the garbage so it doesn’t wash down the storm sewers and into the rivers!
- Keep your car in good repair so it doesn’t leak oil. Clean up oil leaks with kitty litter or sand and sweep it up.
- Plant grass and trees so there is no loose dirt on your property.
Even though Earth Day is officially celebrated on April 22, everyday can be Earth Day if you choose.